Child Safety Seat Inspections
Child Safety SeatsMotor vehicle crashes remain the leading cause of death of children, ages 3-14. However, many of these deaths can be prevented through the proper use of child safety seats. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), child safety seats can reduce fatal injury by 71% for infants and by 54% for toddlers, ages 1-4.
Common Unaware RisksThe problem is most parents and caregivers are unaware of the risk to children when they are not properly restrained in child safety seats. According to a study conducted by Chrysler, 96% of parents and caregivers believe their child safety seats are installed correctly, but NHTSA research shows that 7 out of 10 children are improperly restrained, putting them at risk for serious injury or death in a crash. The most common forms of improper use include loose safety belt attachment to the child restraint and loose harness straps securing the child to the child restraint system.
Child Safety Seat TechniciansThe Chamblee Police Department has four officers who are certified as Child Safety Seat Technicians. These officers are available to conduct inspections to insure proper usage of the safety seats. It is recommended to call the police department ahead of time to make sure one is available or to schedule an appointment.
During an inspection, certified technicians will:
- Check the child safety seat to see that it has been properly installed.
- Remove and inspect the child safety seat for damage.
- Diagnose problems.
- Ensure the child safety seat is not a recalled model.
- Get information about children riders from the vehicle owner (size and weight of child, etc.)
- Ensure the child safety seat is appropriate for the size and age of the child.
- Teach the auto owner the correct procedure to properly and safely install the child safety seat in his or her automobile.
- Show the parent or caregiver how to secure the child in the seat.
- Discuss other vehicles and safety seats they own, and provide instructions to repeat the correct procedure with other seats or when installing the seat in other cars.