- If a court appearance is not required, the citation will usually have the bond amount displayed on it. These citations may be paid at the Chamblee Police Department Records Section during regular business hours, which are 8:00 am to 6:00 pm between Monday and Friday.
- If the bond amount is not listed on the ticket, you may call the Court Clerk's Office at (770) 986-5004 to determine the bond amount before court.
- If a court appearance is required, or the fine is not paid before the court date, the citation is added to the court calendar for the appropriate court date.
- On the scheduled court date, the defendant will be required to enter a plea to the charge. The four pleas available are:
- Not guilty
- Nolo contendere
- There are certain offenses where a plea of nolo contendere will be accepted by the Judge. A plea of nolo contendere neither admits nor denies guilt. Such a plea, where allowed, may avoid points being added to a defendant's driver's license and/or a driver's license suspension.
- A nolo contendere plea is a discretionary plea which must be accompanied by a secondary plea of guilty or not guilty in case the judge does not accept the nolo contendere plea.
- When entering the courtroom, defendants will receive a waiver of rights form which must be filled out, read, and signed.
- When the defendant is called to the bench, he/she will be questioned by the judge to ensure an understanding of the rights being waived and that the waiver is being made voluntarily.
- If the judge accepts a guilty plea or nolo contendere plea, the defendant will be sentenced and the case will be disposed of.
- If a not-guilty plea is offered, the trial will be scheduled for a future date in the Municipal Court and the case will be heard by the Municipal Court Judge.
- Defendants sentenced to probation must meet with the probation officer before being excused from court.
- The disposition of the case will be forwarded to the appropriate agency, such as the Department of Driver Services.
Forms of PaymentThe following methods of payment are permitted:
- Money Order
- Certified Check
- Credit or Debit Card (in person only)