Planning and Development
Let Us Know How We Are Doing
If you have recently interacted with the Planning and Development Department and would like to provide us with feedback, please take a brief customer service survey and let us know how we are doing. Take the survey here: Survey
- Visit the Chamblee Housing page to stay informed about the Housing Study currently in progress, take the housing study Survey, learn about upcoming community meetings, and view presentations from previous meetings.
Check back here for more information regarding important upcoming planning-related happenings in the City!
About the DepartmentThe Planning and Development Department's mission is to help guide citizens and developers through the processes of development established by the Mayor and City Council. The functions of the Planning and Development Department include administration of zoning and development regulations, permitting and inspections, and long-range community planning, in an effort to promote economic prosperity and neighborhood stability.
Serving the Public
The Planning and Development Department is primarily responsible for current and long-range planning, rezonings, variances, zoning map amendments, development permits, and creating, amending and ensuring compliance with the Unified Development Ordinance and the Comprehensive Plan. Staff works with residents and the development community in enhancing quality of life within the City. The routine functions of staff include, but are not limited to, the following:
Directing and supporting long-range planning activities
- Taking public inquiries regarding zoning, variances, permits, development regulations, master plans, and land use
- Reviewing plans for compliance with zoning and other requirements
- Issuing zoning verification letters
- Preparing staff analysis for public hearing applications
- Preparing legal ads and mailing notices for public hearings
- Code Enforcement
Chamblee 101 Development Department - Session 1
Chamblee 101 Development Department - Session 2
Serving the Mayor, City Council and DRB
Planning and Development Department staff also serve the Mayor and City Council and the Design Review Board (DRB) for the City of Chamblee.
The Mayor and City Council review requests for zoning map and future development map amendments, variances, Developments of Community Impact (DCI), appeals of administrative decisions, extensions of nonconforming uses, and text amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance (UDO).
The DRB reviews all DCI applications and advises the Mayor and City Council on these developments.